It’s Gas Safety Week! An important week to help raise awareness of the potential dangers of unsafe gas and help keep our customers and employees safe. Since we cannot see gas it can easily go undetected if you are unaware of the signs to spot unsafe gas or have not received a gas safety check on your property.
In 2014 alone there were over 67,000 call out gas emergencies in the UK due to unsafe gas. The most severe consequence of unsafe gas can be fatality. To keep your home safe and warm Gas Safe have put together 6 simple top tips:
1. Only use a Gas Safety registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. At Glow Green all of our engineers are Gas Safety registered.
2. Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID Card. All of our Glow Green engineers carry this card around their neck on a lanyard and would be happy to show you prior to carrying out works.
3. Have all of your gas appliances regularly services and safety checked every year. We have a number of service plans under our Glow Care packages and each of these includes an annual service. Piece of mind for as little as £6 a month.
4. Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
5. Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliances, detection of smell and too much condensation in the room.
6. Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
If you have any further questions relating to Gas Safety then please do not hesitate to contact Glow Green on 01202 390066 or alternatively visit the gas safety website, https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/gassafetyweek/